Sunday, September 2, 2012

"As always, stay safe" - Saulet Management


Saturday, day four without power:

I come home after spending the night at a friend’s apartment (with air conditioning).  Still no power at Saulet.  The “security” gates are wide open to allow residents to enter and exit the garage, which is practically empty.  Very few people around.  It’s really hot and stuffy in my apartment, I take a cold shower and decide to go uptown to Tulane, where there’s electricity (air conditioning!), Internet and a food court. 

The power is still out at Saulet, but I stop by my apartment to change before the Tulane vs. Rutgers game.  I am shocked and terrified to discover that someone has been in my HOME!  And completely emptied my refrigerator and freezer!  All of my food:  apples, plums, salad dressings, condiments, AND MY ALCOHOL is gone!!  After six days of misery, I’ve reached the breaking point.  I finally cry. 

Apparently, Saulet management came into my apartment to check for storm damage.  In fairness, they sent an email on Thursday indicating that they’d be coming on Friday, reminding us to dispose of perishables and warning us not to allow anyone without a uniform into our homes.  The closing line: as always, please be safe.  Of course, I had removed all perishables by then.  I guess we have a different definition of perishable:  mine is based on items requiring refrigeration, theirs is obviously much broader.  An ice pack?!?!  Why would they take my ice pack?

After yet another cold shower, I go to the management office to discuss the situation. Maybe there’s news about when power will be restored?  Imagine my surprise: the Saulet office has electricity!  Phone service.  Internet.  AND air conditioning.  But no property manager.  If I wait around, I’ll just get more upset.  And I have to find a place to sleep tonight: I really don’t feel safe at The Saulet.  How ironic: I leave my luxury apartment complex and go to the Superdome.

SO disappointed in the Saulet.  I’m paying top dollar to live here. I thought it was worth it: a secure garage (the gates have been left open since the power went out, why can’t they hire a guard?), 24-hour emergency service (unless it’s 5am and you’ve just been released from the emergency room after a car accident, in which case you have to pay $100 to a locksmith) and accessible, responsive management (who raid your refrigerator, take your “perishables” and retreat to air-conditioned comfort).

For the first time in the five year period I have lived in New Orleans, I don't feel safe where I live.  Not only that, I feel violated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment